Some of you, especially those who started getting out on the water from a young age, probably learned the ropes (or lines) of kayak fishing from your father.
The Gift of a Lifetime
But for those who got into kayak fishing through another mentor or later on in life, how about introducing the lifestyle to your pops as a unique gift for Father’s Day? (We know it’s technically a hobby or sport, but the word “lifestyle” reflects the camaraderie felt among the kayak angler community – once your dad’s in, he’s in.)
We’re guessing many older dads out there grew up fishing but may not have ventured into the kayak fishing world over the years for whatever reason. Maybe they’re nervous about leaving the shore or the stability of a yak, maybe they’re not interested in the physical act of paddling, or perhaps they just haven’t had the opportunity.
Seek Out Stability & Simplicity
To help you inspire your dad to get out on the water despite any initial hesitation he may have, we put together this spec list of five featured boats, focusing on stable (wide) fishing boats and pedal options.
The five boats are listed in order of increasing features/cost:
Weight: 64 lb /29.03 kg
Width: 32.5 in / 82.55 cm
– Stadium-style seat with 2 seating positions
– Mesh bow cover, rear tankwell bungee, stern, deck plate, center console
– 2 molded in rod holders and molded in cup holders
– 2 gear tracks
Pedal Drive: No
Weight: 74 lb / 33.57 kg
Width: 36 in / 91.44 cm
– Wheel in the keel for easy transport and integrated bow, stern and side carry handles
– Two fishing rod holders and track system provide a variety of outfitting options
– Includes the Gravity seat, one of the most adjustable seats on the market
Pedal Drive: No (but compatible with the Overdrive Pedal System when it’s released next month)
Weight: 82 lb / 37.19 kg
Width: 34.5 in / 87.63 cm
– Flex Pod OS is a fully removable pod for your fish finder, battery, cables, and transducer or it can accommodate the Helix MD motor drive
– Flex Pod PD allows the use of side scan transducers or the Helix PD pedal drive
– AirPro Max seat has 3 adjustable positions and can travel the majority of the length of the boats essential angling features such as SlideTrax rails, front paddle park, multiple hatches, and generous tankwell storage
Weight: 74 lb / 33.57 kg
Width: 33.75 in / 85.73 cm
– Captains chair allows for fore and aft adjustment
– Includes bow storage pods, bow tankwell storage, and stern tankwell storage
– Transducer scupper and rudder included
Pedal Drive: Yes
Weight: 99 lb / 44.91 kg
Width: 33 in / 83.82 cm
– Features the multi-adjustable Vantage CT chair
– 2 molded-in drink holders and 4 molded-in rod holders
– Molded-in storage wells all around the cockpit
– One gear bucket
– Lowrance-Ready capability
Pedal Drive: Yes – Mirage Drive 180
Let us know if you have any additional questions about any of the boats or one that we haven’t listed from our fishing kayak selection.
Happy (early) Father’s Day! Make it a special one.