The Science Behind A YETI

| June 2, 2014 | 33 Comments

Ever since YETI has made its debut it has secured a cult-like following amongst outdoorsman and beverage drinkers alike. At first glance they may seem like just another cooler, but the second you begin using one you know it is anything but ordinary. They look and feel sturdy, they are mega strong, and do an amazing  job of keeping your food and drinks ice cold – for a very long time. You may be wondering, “What kind of magic is behind this?” Look no further, we present the science behind a YETI.

bear vs yeti

Built For The Wild

So what’s the big deal and just what makes a YETI cooler so strong? It all starts with the manufacturing process of the shell itself. Just like your kayak, YETI coolers are roto-molded rendering a product that has no seams, is impact resistant, offers long-term durability and can take a serious beating. Go ahead and drop it, kick it, stand on it or sit on it- a Yeti will not fall apart at the seams. However, it doesn’t stop there. Latches, hinges and handles are usually the first things to fail on most coolers but the guys at YETI didn’t skimp on the details. The T-Rex™ lid latches are the same latches used to secure hatches on ATVs and the YETI NeverFail™ hinge system consists of a full-length, rust-proof aluminum rod integrated into hinge stops which are molded into the lid. The handles themselves are virtually indestructible and the plug itself has a story of it’s own because we all know one of the worst things that can happen is a busted latch.

You are probably thinking “Just how strong are these things?” Check out this 500lb man try to break it.

yeti kayakKeep ice longer!

While durability has sky-rocketed YETI to fame, it’s the ability to do what coolers are meant to do that has pushed these products into the limelight — keeping your food and drinks cold and fresh. YETI Coolers use up to 3″ of pressure-injected commercial grade polyurethane foam in the walls and lid to make sure your ice stays ice all day long. Lets just say if your ice isn’t cold, your ice is broken.

Lock it up!

Ever come back to your cooler after thinking you closed it to find that it in fact, has been open for hours leaving all your drinks warm and food mushy? Fear no longer! The YETI cooler doesn’t just close- it seals. The full frame, freezer-quality gasket circles keep your lid shut tight and the cold sealed in so you don’t have to worry about warm beer ever again.

Already have a YETI cooler?YETI Rambler

Check out the brand new Rambler. This tumbler is there to solve the age old annoyance of less than frosty beverages when working away from a freezer all day. YETI over-engineered their Rambler tumblers with kitchen grade 18/8 stainless steel and double-wall vacuum insulation to ensure that you never come back to a less than amazing beverage again. These will keep ice 2x longer than your average plastic tumbler and will keep those hot beverages scalding for you in the cold winter months. What more could you want?

We invite you to browse our complete line of YETI coolers and accessories. Don’t need one yourself? They make awesome gifts. Who wouldn’t want a bear proof cooler?

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Knowledge

Comments (33)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Thomas says:

I found it to be an amazing cup I specially like the no sweating part of it you can set it it on your fine furniture come back later there is no water ring on it .keeps Hot hot and cold cold thanks Thomas elk

• Devyn Stewart says:

Yes! We find many of our customers (and ACK team members) refusing to use anything else after they’ve experienced how wonderful these are.

2. lynn says:

I called yeti with regards to my rambler with lid having a rust ring on outside and a scratch in another area of cup they proceeded to tell me that they will rust they are not rust proof and to use baking soda and water to clean it so I’m just throwing this out here as I was not treated as they back there product a 100% either in replacement.

• Devyn Stewart says:

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear this news and appreciate your sharing your experience with us so others will be aware. The baking soda and soda is an easy affordable way to clean the rust off and as far as the scratch goes – I can offer you a sweet ACK sticker to cover it up 😉

3. George says:

After a few months of use my cooler cup stopped keeping liquids as cool and warm as when I first got it. If I leave ice in it overnight, the ice is all melting by the next morning. My coffee is only “luke warm” after just a few hours.

• Devyn Stewart says:

Oh no! This is definitely not the way your YETI cup should be acting – fortunately they offer a 5 year warranty on defective products. Here are the details: YETI Warranty Information

• Jessie R Mapes says:

I received my Yeti cup as a Christmas gift and it has my name on the cup, it was laser cut….it has quit keeping my coffee hot or my tea cold. I do not have a receipt so what can I do about the warranty?

• Larisa Manescu says:

Hey Jessie,

I’m sorry to hear that – that’s definitely not what should be happening after only half a year. I’d suggest to go ahead and fill out the YETI warranty request form with as much detail as possible and see what they say about your situation.

Hope you get it worked out for summer!

4. Chad says:

I think these Yeti Rambler will be a really hot item this Christmas. I fully expected the other cooler brands (Grizzly, Pelican etc) to jump on board with this tumbler style mug…. but nothing yet. Yeti continues to be the leader in the cooler market. Great suggestion and great Holiday gift idea!

5. Kathy Kayser says:

Why is the bottom of my Yeti cup really cold when it has coffee in it?

• Devyn Stewart says:

From what I understand its always good if the outside of the Yeti cup is cold when you have a hot drink in it. If the outside were warm, that would indicate that there is being heat transferred to the outside of the cup. The inside is actually vacuum sealed so that there is very little transference of heat.

6. Rhonda says:

The bottom of my Rambler has come off. Why???????

• Devyn Stewart says:

Hi Rhonda, I’m sorry to hear this happened – I’ve never heard of this issue before! Your best bet is to contact YETI directly so they can inspect and repair/replace your Rambler. Just fill out this form and you’ll be good to go!

7. I was wondering if I could get a decal for my truck ? Please email me with details. Anyone that has anything to do with the outdoors I like to put them on my truck and atv . That way everyone’s name gets our there . Thanks

8. Greg says:

I received a Rambler as a gift from one of my customers with their logo on it. For some reason I find that my coffee doesn’t seem to stay warm very long in it. Any thoughts??

• Devyn Stewart says:

Very strange – we have a lot of our customers get their Ramblers engraved with logos which has never been known to cause problems. Perhaps it was something in this specific engraving process that pierced or compromised the double wall vacuum seal? Have you been putting it in the dishwasher? This is known to cause problems and is the only other thing I can think of that may be causing your issue.

9. ross eisenberg says:

Just got the 30oz rambler and I love it. I filled it with ice and water last night at 9pm and 24 hours later there was still ice in it! Awesome product. I just wish it came with a straw that fits the lid :-(

10. Vic Modic says:

Love my Yeti Coolers and Cups!!
    I do have a question though. Will the ability of the Rambler cup to keep cold things cold degrade with age? Seems to me that if the foam is under pressure, that there is a possibility of the air pressure eventually leaking out. Not a complaint, but have you tested them to hold pressure over several years?
    Vic

• Devyn Stewart says:

Hmmm that’s an interesting point you bring up. Yeti offers a 5 year warranty so you should be seeing the same performance for at least 5 years – we haven’t done any tests to see how a new yeti holds up to one that’s been used for a few years, but it’s definitely something I’d be curious to try so that’ll likely be a future blog topic 😉

11. Renae Grater says:

I bit the bullet and paid $40.00 for the “yeti” 30oz tumbler. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed. I can fill it up with ice and water and the ice is melted within 3 to 4 hours. What’s the deal? This is frustrating!
    I have only had it 24 hours!

12. Josh says:

My tumbler cup has started to sweat around and on the lid I see no damage to the prong seal or lid

13. Jamie Svoboda says:

My Yeti Rambler cup makes a clinking sound as if there is something lose in the bottom of the cup. I just got it as a gift 6 days ago. It just started the sound yesterday. I have not put it in the dishwasher and it is still keeping my drink cold. I want to know if the vacuum seal is broken or if I should get a new one. I think there is a warranty. You only hear the sound if you shake it.

14. Demp Dempsey says:

I received the large tumbler for Christmas a few years ago. It has been amazing. I carry it almost daily. I am very familiar with it’s performance. It has not been in a dishwasher. All of a sudden it is not keeping beverages cold. I have no receipt & am not looking for any handout. Before I buy a replacement, I’d like to know if there is anything I might have done to cause this to happen. It has not been in any unusual environment. Now that I think about it, how on earth could you know. You would have to follow me daily. Since I’ve gone this far to look like an idiot, I feel compelled to follow through. Any tips or thoughts are welcome (How’s that for leaving the door wide open!) Have a great day, Demp

• Devyn Stewart says:

Hahaha Hi Demp! I’m glad you’re a fan of your tumbler, I’m not sure specifically what could have caused your Yeti to stop working as well as it used to. If you call our customer service team at 888-828-3828 or email customer@ausitnkayak.com they can walk you through the proper care instructions for your next one! It could also be a manufacturing defect. If so, our customer service team will be sure to get in touch with the folks at Yeti so you can get a replacement :)

15. Paige says:

My yeti cup has started sweating? What could be causing this? It isn’t supposed to; right?

• Devyn Stewart says:

Oh no! Sorry to hear this – yeti cups are not supposed to sweat. This sounds like a manufacturing defect. Your best bet is to contact our customer service team at 888-828-3828 or customer@ausitnkayak.com. They’ll take care of you!