Find Energy Everywhere with the BioLite Camp Stove

| February 21, 2014 | 16 Comments
BioLite Camp Stove

BioLite Camp Stove

Simultaneously cook food and charge electronics with the BioLite Camp Stove

As much as we want to escape electronics when we adventure outside, bringing along a mobile device can be a convenience as well as a safety measure. The question then becomes, how do I keep it charged? Enter the BioLite Camp Stove.

This new portable wood burning camp stove is unique in that it serves two purposes: cooking and charging electronics. Note that it will charge anything that hooks into a USB port, not just your mobile device. This means if you had say, a rechargeable USB headlamp, it’d do just fine with that. Here’s how it works:

Neat idea right? If you’re like me, you probably think it sounds too good to be true and there’s a good chance that your first impression of it probably is. This stove won’t turn a few twigs into a fully charged battery for your iPhone. However, it WILL provide a truly on-demand source of emergency power when you need it and, oh yeah, it makes a very effective cooking stove too.

Ditch the solar charger and liquid fuel

One of the biggest benefits of the BioLite Camp Stove is that it replaces two pieces of gear rather than just one, your fossil fuel powered camp stove and solar charger. Three, if you count the fuel and fuel canisters that you’re required to bring to power your typical camp stove. To me, this makes it’s price tag of $129.95, which is on par with a number of other fossil fuel powered stoves like the Jetboil Sol and MSR Dragonfly, very appealing.

BioLite Price Tag

It also excuses the weight of the BioLite. My first impression when I saw that it weighed a little over 2 lbs was that this thing is just too heavy for a stove! But this extra weight easily cancels out when you leave behind your liquid fuel, fuel canister and solar charging gear.

There are already some great accessories available for the BioLite Camp Stove including a portable grill and combination kettle/pot. Check them out and let me know what you think about the new BioLite Camp Stove by commenting below!

ack_nl_promo

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Camping/Hiking, Knowledge, Resources

Comments (16)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. CJ Frizzell says:

Interesting stove

2. Lisa says:

My only concern about this stove (besides the weight) is how use of wood as fuel jives -or doesn’t jive- with Leave No Trace principles… I’ve always been conflicted about LNT as it relates to wood-burning, because the production methods for other LNT-sanctioned fuels certainly have their negative environmental impacts; you just don’t see them on the trail. But this multi-tasking stove is a pretty sweet development, if I may say so.

3. Lynne. Budd says:

I think the bio lite stove is great. How do I get one?

4. Jag says:

It look Awesome. How can i get one?

5. Andrew says:

Is it the burning wood that provides the power source or is it a battery that is charged before the trip?

• Genna Tardi says:

Good question Andrew. Heat from the fire is used to create the electricity. The stove has an integrated USB port but no actual battery that needs charging.

6. Hamdi says:

This is good, I want one!

7. Brad says:

This product sounds great. With the various things I wish to charge I would like to know what the power output is. I want to determine the runtime needed to charge.

• Devyn Stewart says:

Yeah, it’s awesome! Here are the specs for ya: Output Max Continuous – 2W @5V, Peak – 4W @5V.

8. I like the product, although in many places you would want to use the stove, you won’t get a signal for your phone, so why charge it? In nature you want to get away from things like mobile phones. You can’t have them both.

My one grudge is that if you don’t have matches or a lighter, you can’t use the stove. Please integrate some kind of heating element in the stove which will at least light paper for kindling.

• Larisa Manescu says:

James,

I’m with you on the phone charging. We’re already so plugged into our phones that returning to our roots in the outdoors shouldn’t be seen as radical. That being said, it comes down to each his/her own and the charging is useful for other gear like a handy headlamp.

And good point on the fire source! We don’t carry the stove anymore but that could be a suggestion to pass onto BioLite

9. Mike says:

Sorry, not sold on yet another overpriced under- thought-out gadget for the elite folks who go camping once per decade. A real hiker/camper will understand to use what is available “out there” instead of buying another silly gadget to pack in. 2 lbs is a lot actually when added to the other more crucial items. The twigs used to fuel this thing will make a fine fire to cook on without the use of the stove, and a metal cup to boil water on said fire is all that is necessary to pack. No fuel, no stove, no solar gear is required unless your target market isnt the every day outdoor enthusiast. Agreed that the use of electronic device is nice for navigation and emergencies. That’s why you save the power by keeping it off until it becomes an emergency. If you are on a hike long enough to kill the battery on a powered off phone, maybe it’s time to go into town anyway, and hopefully you brought a paper map to get there. I wish more inventors could just take a more pragmatic and simple approach by actually practicing the activities they attempt to “improve” upon and create simple low cost solutions. Sorry guys, this is dumb, stay fancy my friends.

• Larisa Manescu says:

Hey Mike,

That’s a fair perspective! I get it, everyone has a different approach to camping and some strong opinions are out there about electronics taking over quality time spent outdoors. I definitely understand that – in 2016, it can feel like technology is encroaching on everything! At the same time, I could see this as being a useful “glamping” accessory to make camping more accessible to people or families that do want a fun experience but aren’t necessarily “every day outdoor enthusiasts.”

Either way, thanks for your input! It’s truly appreciated. We love hearing differing point of views on products.