ACK Kayak Camping Gear Guide: A Visual Presentation

| September 5, 2012 | 24 Comments

We’ve written several articles highlighting what you need to know when kayak camping. This time, we took a different approach featuring the camping gear you should consider taking along with you through an easy to follow one page visual presentation. See below or download a high res PDF version for printing and to reference it at a later time. Both versions contain clickable links that will lead you to detailed information about each product or product category. Enjoy! – Roland & Joseph @ACK

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Camping/Hiking, Gear Guide, Kayaking, Resources

Comments (24)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Roland says:

Customer John R. replied with the following and we couldn’t have agreed more! Thanks for the feedback John!

“Nice Kayak graphic with the recommended gear for camping. An important component when using our Kayaks in the surf is to have a paddle leash. This is a life saver both here and in rough inland waters as well. Keep up the great work at ACK!”

2. Chris Rose says:

Love the layout, very helpful.

3. Roland says:

Thanks Chris, glad this was helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.

4. Louis Braddy says:

Great guide roland. Just curious what is your thought process behind a paddle leash when it comes to saftey. I see it as a potential hazard and just carry an emergecny paddle. But how hazardous they reslly are is up for discussion. In the Coast Guard they teach us that underwater entangelments are the devil. We always carry a knife as every should. The swift water rescue guys i know say to avoid them but there is a clear risk vs gain factor at play. Im personally torn and was wondering what you thought. Thanks

5. Ernie Martin says:

As an open coast paddler and someone studying to be to an ACA open coast instructor I would highly recommend against a paddle leash in surf and other white water. The last thing you want to do is get a paddle leash wrapped around your neck while a wave is pummeling you and you dont know which way is up. You probably would not be able to roll back up if your neck is connected to your paddle. The solution–bring a spare paddle and dont paddle alone in rough waters. If you get seperated from your paddle pull out your spare or have your buddy get it for you. Be safe and happy paddling

6. Roland says:

Louis & Ernie, interesting perspectives and a good point of discussion here. I see where it can be a hazard in rough conditions. Back tracking on my previous comment and to your point, I guess the best thing to do in rough water conditions is to simply carry an emergency paddle inside your kayak. I can see the value in avoiding the loss of a paddle but also see how it can backfire on you if you ended up in a tangle underwater. Thanks for your input…it’s always great to hear suggestions and comments from others.

7. kris says:

i always stick one of those collapable tripod stools in my forward compartment, makes morning coffee a lot nicer then sitting on your boat or the ground.

8. Fred says:

Great job with the graphic, very helpful to see how others pack. I need to get one of those water bags to replace my bottle, seems like it would fit better. The only thing I do different is bring a cooler and strap an old fashioned camp chair on top. In Florida like to river camp in Nov/Dec and it gets dark around 5:30 which means 4-5 hours around the campfire, so the chair is an essential for old guys like me.

9. Stephen says:

I have kayak-camped on 10 different rivers in Texas, several lakes, as well as on Matagorda Island twice. This is a pretty good guide. A kayak paddle is useful for other things besides paddling. I’ve used mine to prop up my boat on edge as a windblock beside my tent, a tentpole, and a shovel to dig a firepit.

Also useful on camping trips: a roll of strong nylon cord, extra carabiners.

10. Matt says:

Finally an infographic that interests me. Nice job!

11. Roland says:

Thanks Matt, glad you like it and hope you get a lot of use from it.

12. Jim Mitchell says:

Great overview for us that are just getting started – thanks

13. Robert Cumming says:

This add got my attention because Kayak Camping is where it’s at !! I love Kayak camping and there isn’t enough on this subject. So far you’re my all time faviorite store !! Here is another suggestion if u don’t have it already. Have a app from AKC for Kayak Campers to interact and exchange our places to go or been! LRL ,DBNF ,Corbin,KY. Is spectacular beauty, free kayak camping and just pay a season pass at Grove Marina Cobin KY.

14. Robert Cumming says:

Lol ACK app.

15. Mcobbit says:

I have about 40 years of canoe camping, mostly on East Texas flat water. I have always seen any kind of potential entanglement as a hazard. That includes the poncho that I used to wear on the water. If I take no other luxury I am going to take a chair. Always beware of dead standing timber.

16. Christi Engler says:

Nicely done Roland. Different approach but will detailed. Sure everyone would see this very useful. And by the way, thanks for the converting it into a PDF format. You rock!

17. Tara says:

awesome – love this

18. yahunter says:

hi there enjoyed a look around your blog interesting read keep up the good cheers

19. Kent says:

Which kayak is shown here?